Choosing the best material for building and renovation projects is an important part of attaining a highly durable and aesthetically pleasing result. This decision mainly depends on the requirements of your project and the benefits offered by the different materials.
Today in the market, there are two popular options for construction materials PVC and WPC. Both these materials provide unique characteristics, which will suit different requirements.
Let’s delve deep into what each of the materials is, their features, and benefits and make a better comparison.
What is PVC?
PVC also known as Polyvinyl Chloride is a synthetic material popular for its affordability, durability, and high resistance to environmental elements. Extensively used in the construction industry, it is one of the most highly produced plastics all over the world.
Features of PVC
- Durability: PVC is resistant to weathering, corrosion, shock, chemical rotting, and abrasion.
- Versatility: PVC is accessible in various styles and colors, with various applications like cables, pipes, roofing, flooring, etc.
- Cost-Efficient: PVC is affordable to produce and maintain which makes it a highly cost-effective material.
- Safe Material: PVC is non-toxic, safe, and doesn’t cause any environmental harm.
- Fire Resistant: It’s self-extinguishing, thus it doesn’t catch fire easily.
- High Strength: PVC is a very lightweight and strong material.
- Simple Installation: PVC can be cut, shaped, welded, and joined together in different ways which makes this installation procedure simple.
Benefits of PVC
Besides being highly versatile, PVC is energy and cost-efficient as it needs very low processing temperatures. It is safe to handle, non-toxic, and recyclable making it the best option for sustainable building.
- PVC is a highly durable material: Hence, it is resistant to weathering for this reason, it is used in construction and building.
- PVC is resistant to chemicals. It does not conduct electricity, thus making it essential for use in high-tech applications, like cable and wire.
- PVC film enables you to stay ahead of your competitors. With its neat & tidy aesthetic, it can easily be beautified and manipulated as per your preferences. Products will appear more enticing when protected from any damage in transit.
- Thanks to PVC’s secure nature, it will be simple to decide if your box has been opened or not, instilling confidence in your product.
- Perfect for the popular retail products that include novelties, DVDs, boxed foods, games, and various consumer electronics.
What is WPC?
WPC also known as Wood Plastic Composites are composite materials made from wood fiber or wood flour and thermoplastics. WPC mimics the look of timber but with the advantages of plastic materials.
Features of WPC
- Resource utilization: WPC biomass material uses waste that has a huge range of sources & low value; plastics composition requirements aren’t high, and old, new, and mixed materials can also be used that reflect the effective and comprehensive use of the resources.
- Products plasticizability: Wood composite products are a kind of synthetic products. Hence, the procedure and formulation of the products can randomly be adjusted as per the requirements, so materials with different shapes and properties can easily be produced.
- Eco-friendly: Plastic and wood base materials and other additives of wood composite products are eco-friendly, harmless, and non-toxic, and their processing process and production won’t produce any toxic side effects, hence they don’t constitute a potential danger to the environment and humans.
- Cost-efficient: Wood composite products have realized transfer of the low-cost materials & high-value products that not only have low maintenance expenses but have a life of the natural wood products.
Benefits of WPC
WPC has an elegance of wood and longevity of the plastics. It is a high-performance material, perfect for fencing, decking, railing, and outdoor furniture, among various other applications. It is an eco-friendly material that uses recycled plastics and wood waste.
- Durable: WPC materials are highly resistant to decay and rot, they are very robust, and have a longer lifespan than other materials.
- Versatile: WPC is applicable in many different areas such as decking, fencing, molding, and trim.
- Low Maintenance: They need less cleaning and maintenance than other materials, and they do not need painting and staining.
- Eco-Friendly: WPC materials are made from recycled plastics and waste products from the wood industry, thus making them an environment-friendly and sustainable option.
- Resistant to weather conditions: WPCs are highly resistant to weather conditions such as heat, cold, and rain, thus making them appropriate for outdoor applications.
- Safe: They have a high slip resistance, thus making them totally safe for walking and in wet conditions. They do not splinter, making them safer than the real wood.
How To Make the Right Choice?
When it comes to deciding between PVC and WPC, there are various factors to consider such as location, project specification, budget, maintenance requirements, and environmental impact. For outdoor applications where aesthetic appeal and durability are important, WPC is a perfect choice. However, for cost-efficient, simple-to-install interior fixtures, PVC is highly suitable.
Whether it is PVC or WPC, the choice must always align with your project requirements and user’s preferences. Both materials come with a wide range of benefits and have their own unique shortcomings.
Always consider the trade-off between the cost, aesthetics, performance, and environmental footprint before you make a final decision. These materials continue to evolve and improve, thus providing builders with an exciting prospect for future projects.